DEGREES AND CERTIFICATIONS
Professor Óscar Maurtua holds a Bachelor’s degree in International Relations from the Diplomatic Academy of Peru. He studied an undergraduate law degree at Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos. He holds a Bachelor of Arts from Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú. Professor Maurtua has pursued graduate studies at the University of Oxford, the School of Advanced International Studies at Johns Hopkins University, and at the Inter-American Juridical Committee of the Organization of American States. He is currently pursuing a Master’s degree in Public Management at Universidad Tecnológica del Perú.
Professor Maurtua has been the Minister of Foreign Affairs in Peru. He was the Secretary at the United States Embassy in Peru and President of the Association of Commercial Advisors in Washington, D.C. He was the Head of the International Economic Policy Department; he was in charge of the Economic Affairs Department and he was the Deputy Director of the General Planning Administration. He has been an Advisor to the Peruvian Embassy in Belgium and to the European Economic Community. He has been Secretary General to the Office of the President, Peruvian Ambassador in Canada (1985-1988), Commissioner General of Peru at Expo 86 in Vancouver,- Canada (1986), Ambassador in Bolivia (1988-1993), Thailand, Vietnam and Laos (1995-1999), and Ecuador (1999-2002). Professor Maurtua has been the Director General of Planning, Director General of Legal Affairs, and Legal Counselor. He has also been the Director of the Diplomatic Academy of Peru; Assistant Secretary for Latin Affairs in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs; Secretary of Foreign Policy at the Foreign Relations Ministry; Deputy Minister and Secretary General of Foreign Affairs; Minister of Foreign Affairs of Peru and the OAS Representative in Mexico. In addition, he was Director General of the International Relations, Government and Political Science Department at Universidad Tecnológica del Perú.
He has taught at Pontificia Universidad Católica del Peru, the Diplomatic Academy of Peru, and Technological University of Peru. He currently is a member of the Peruvian Society of International Law (SPDI), the Business Advisory Council of CENTRUM Católica and the Special Committee on Foreign Affairs of the Lima Bar Association.
- El Mariscal Andrés De Santa Cruz y El Encuentro De Dos Mundos (La Paz, 1992)
- Derecho Internacional y Política Exterior (Lima, 1995)
- Una Visión Latinoamericana del Asia Pacifico (Lima, 1999)
- Las Nuevas Relaciones Bilaterales Perú-Ecuador (Quito, 2000)
- Perú y Ecuador: Socios en el siglo XXI (Quito, 2001)
- Apuntes sobre la Agenda Interamericana (Ciudad de México, 2010)
- Promotor y colaborador del libro Migración y Seguridad Social en América Centro Interamericano de Estudios de Seguridad Social (CIESS) (Mexico D.F., 2010)
- Bitácora Interamericana (Lima, 2012)
- Chaumette des Fossés y el inicio de las relaciones Franco-Peruanas (1826-1827). (Lima, 2014)
He currently is a Professor and Researcher at CENTRUM Católica Graduate Business School.
He has received several national and international awards, such as:
- National Culture Award, Peru. (1968).
- Honorary Doctorate Degree in Law from University of Winnipeg, Canada. (1988).
- Honorary Doctorate Degree in Law from Assumption University, Thailand.
- Honorary Professor at Universidad Andina Simón Bolívar, Ecuador (2002).
- Honorary Doctorate Degree in Education from Universidad Domingo Savio, Bolivia (2005).
- Medal from Soka University, Japan, for Education and Culture excellence (Tokyo 2012).
- Honorary Doctorate Degree from Universidad Nacional de Piura, Peru (2012).
- Honorary Professor at Universidad Tecnológica del Perú (2013).